Uncover how our advocacy helps to form the move of data relating to drugs and well being merchandise in Canada. Plus, study how one can take part in a analysis alternative for youngsters with tree nut allergy involving immunotherapies.
Advocacy in motion: Being your voice on the desk!
In June 2023, we participated in a session led by Well being Canada on bettering entry to medicine, like epinephrine auto-injectors, and different well being merchandise in Canada. The intention of the session was to gather suggestions from key Canadian stakeholders to assist inform the event of a plan to assist constructing a extra resilient provide of medicine and different well being merchandise in Canada.
Well being Canada just lately printed their findings in a report, “What we heard: Bettering entry to medicine and different well being merchandise in Canada”, which highlights the important thing suggestions from the varied stakeholders, together with Meals Allergy Canada.
From our suggestions, Well being Canada included the next of their report:
- Affected person advocacy teams play a big position in letting sufferers find out about a scarcity and educating them on holding an sufficient provide available and about various drugs and therapies.
- Affected person advocacy teams should be included in all scarcity roundtables, advisory our bodies and dealing teams to make sure that options meet affected person care wants.
- Guarantee data on shortages of non-prescription medicine and toddler system are communicated.
The subsequent part of labor will concentrate on Well being Canada growing a plan that can think about the enter offered on this report. We’ll proceed to observe the progress being made and supply extra updates as they turn out to be accessible.
You possibly can rely on us to be your voice on the desk.
Analysis research: Name for participation for youngsters with tree nut allergy
A analysis research is underway in Hamilton, Ontario. The researchers are searching for kids aged 1-16 years who’ve been identified with tree nut allergy, particularly to cashew, pistachio, walnut, pecan, almond, or hazelnut.
The research is testing totally different immunotherapies to desensitize an individual with tree nut allergy by repeated exposures to very small quantities of tree nut by way of sublingual immunotherapy (SLIT) or low-dose oral immunotherapy (IdOIT). SLIT is when a meals allergen is positioned beneath the tongue and OIT is when a meals allergen is eaten.
Meals Allergy Canada is concerned on this analysis by way of a affected person/caregiver partnership the place we offer enter on the design of the analysis, overview analysis outcomes, and make sure the affected person perspective is taken into account.
Following is an announcement from the analysis crew with extra particulars. To study extra concerning the research and in case your little one is eligible to take part, electronic mail email@example.com.
Please share with others whose kids have tree nut allergy.
From the analysis crew:
Now enrolling: TRADE research for youngsters with tree nut allergy
Does your little one have tree nut allergy and hopes to scale back their reactions to tree nuts? Your little one could also be eligible for our research to trial remedies for tree nut allergy. TRADE is a randomized trial which makes use of sublingual immunotherapy (SLIT) or low-dose oral immunotherapy (ldOIT) in contrast with a placebo to evaluate the power of various immunotherapies to desensitize tree nut allergy.
- Youngsters between 1-16 years previous
- Identified with tree nut allergy, particularly cashew, pistachio, walnut, pecan, almond, or hazelnut
- Pores and skin prick check of 3mm or larger or a serum tree nut-specific IgE of larger than 0.35kUA/L
- Different eligibility standards will apply
Participation within the research includes:
- Taking the research therapy for 52 weeks
- A minimum of 10 research visits to the clinic, which is situated in McMaster Youngsters’s Hospital, 1200 Major Avenue West, Hamilton ON
Potential advantages of this research embrace:
- Reducing the participant’s reactivity to tree nuts after unintentional ingestion and altering the pure development of tree nut allergy by modifying the underlying immune response
- The participant could turn out to be clinically and immunologically tolerant to the tree nut
- Addressing unmet wants to determine protected tree nut allergy immunotherapy protocols and serving to docs and scientists to higher perceive meals allergy
TRADE is led by Dr. Derek Chu MD PhD FRCPC at McMaster College Hamilton, Ontario and funded by the Canadian Institutes of Well being Analysis, Ontario Ministry of Well being and Lengthy-Time period Care, Ontario Medical Affiliation, and Hamilton Well being Sciences.
To study extra about TRADE and eligibility standards, please electronic mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tags: auto-injector, immunotherapy, Analysis, tree nut allergy