Thanks for entrusting KFA as your ally for the meals allergy group. Our sources assist folks handle meals allergic reactions with confidence. Our analysis and advocacy assist enhance well being and empower folks to have a voice in choices that influence their lives.
Because of your beneficiant donations, we:
- Advocated for elevated entry to epinephrine and higher meals allergen labels so folks can higher handle meals allergic reactions.
- Launched a groundbreaking research on a uncommon sort of meals allergy known as eosinophilic esophagitis. This report calls consideration to the burden of illness and unmet diagnostic and therapy wants.
- Offered help and schooling so folks can efficiently handle meals allergic reactions and stay a full, energetic life.
Under are a few of the methods you made a distinction to folks residing with and managing meals allergic reactions.
UNDERSTANDING WHAT MATTERS MOST
KFA actively engages individuals who stay with or handle meals allergic reactions, bronchial asthma, and associated situations in analysis to know what it’s prefer to stay with these situations and what’s lacking from present therapy choices. This analysis helps guarantee new therapies and well being insurance policies meet the wants of these they intend to serve.
Collectively we revealed the next vital analysis:
Elements Related to Epinephrine Use within the Remedy of Anaphylaxis in Infants and Toddlers within the Journal of Allergy and Scientific Immunology: In Apply. This research highlights the significance of anaphylaxis motion plans for infants and toddlers. Infants and toddlers who had been supplied with anaphylaxis motion plans had been 5 instances extra more likely to be handled with epinephrine than these with out anaphylaxis motion plans.
Life with EoE: The Affected person Expertise and Alternatives to Enhance Care within the U.S. Report in collaboration with the American Partnership for Eosinophilic Issues (APFED). This groundbreaking report revealed the challenges and alternatives for take care of a uncommon, however rising allergic situation referred to as eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE).
The annual Allergy Capitals™ and Bronchial asthma Capitals™ reviews, which rank the 100 most populated cities within the continental U.S. by elements that make it difficult to stay with seasonal allergic reactions and bronchial asthma. These reviews additionally raised consciousness on vital subjects that influence allergy and bronchial asthma administration. Many kids with meals allergic reactions additionally develop pollen allergic reactions and bronchial asthma.
- The 2023 Allergy Capitals™ report highlighted three subjects associated to seasonal allergic reactions: self-care for allergic rhinitis, pollen counts, and the connection between local weather change and allergic reactions.
- The 2023 Bronchial asthma Capitals™ highlighted data on Bronchial asthma Peak Month, well being disparities, and steps folks can take to enhance well being outcomes of their communities.
BUILDING A BRIGHTER TOMORROW
KFA protects the well being and security of the meals allergy group. All through 2023, KFA engaged a robust community of advocates to lift consciousness of the wants and pursuits of the bronchial asthma and allergy group.
Collectively we had been in a position to advocate for vital well being insurance policies. Main advocacy accomplishments included:
- Championing the crucial challenge of entry to epinephrine autoinjectors on planes and the necessity to handle the contents of emergency medical kits on this yr’s Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Reauthorization.
- Advocating for Dillon’s Regulation, a invoice designed to develop entry to epinephrine to any skilled particular person, alongside Dillon’s dad and mom, Angel, and George Mueller.
- Contributing to the profitable passage of the Munoz SAFE Act in California which is able to guarantee accessible epinephrine throughout emergencies and enhance coaching in colleges to guard kids with meals allergic reactions.
- Organizing a Hill Day for AAFA’s Board of Administrators to fulfill with their senators and congresspeople to share one in all AAFA’s 2023 priorities, the Defending Youngsters with Meals Allergy symptoms Act.
- Presenting to the Meals and Drug Administration a number of instances to lift issues about sesame allergen labeling.
- Co-hosting a congressional briefing on the shortage of vitamin and ingredient labeling on alcohol and the necessity for necessary allergen labeling on alcoholic drinks.
HELPING YOU MANAGE FOOD ALLERGIES WITH CONFIDENCE
Meals allergic reactions could be prevented and handled simply if folks have the sources and instruments to handle meals allergic reactions with confidence.
Collectively, we offered help and schooling so folks have the instruments to know and efficiently handle meals allergic reactions. Important well being schooling and group applications included:
- Educating our group on the way to scale back the chance of extreme allergic reactions and what to do if one happens.
- Sharing the newest information and tendencies akin to rising therapy choices, new allergy-friendly meals, recipes, and recollects to assist with meals allergy administration.
- Providing a file variety of well being teaching programs on bronchial asthma, meals allergic reactions, eosinophilic esophagitis, nasal polyps, power spontaneous urticaria, and atopic dermatitis. Permitting us to assist extra folks grow to be educated on the way to finest handle bronchial asthma and allergic illnesses.
- 7,441 folks attended academic applications for individuals who handle these power situations.
- Almost 8,200 well being care professionals attended our persevering with teaching programs on treating allergic situations and bronchial asthma.
- Publishing sources to help within the on a regular basis administration of meals allergic reactions, together with the Your Information to Managing Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EoE) useful resource for sufferers and caregivers.
- Offering personalised help to assist folks within the on a regular basis administration of bronchial asthma and allergic reactions by offering sources and help to over 57,000 folks on our two on-line help communities. AAFA additionally responded to 1,228 inquiries submitted to AAFA’s Assist Middle and 268 questions submitted to AAFA’s Ask the Allergist service.
SUMMARY OF AAFA’S IMPACT ON ASTHMA AND ALLERGIES IN 2023: