Home Food Allergies Epinephrine May Not Save Dancer in Mislabeled Stew Leonard’s Cookie Tragedy

Epinephrine May Not Save Dancer in Mislabeled Stew Leonard’s Cookie Tragedy

27
0

As we reported yesterday, mislabeled Florentine Cookies offered by Stew Leonard’s reportedly precipitated the demise of 25-year-old Órla Baxendale, a dancer from Manchester, UK, who moved to New York Metropolis in 2018 to check dance on a scholarship to the Ailey Faculty.

An announcement by Marijo D Adminey, legal professional for the household, stated she was at a dance studio on January 11 when she suffered an anaphylactic response to the cookies which contained peanuts however weren’t labeled as such.

The legal professional stated:

Orla was very cautious and hyper-vigilant about every thing she ate, and at all times completely checked the substances on all packaging. As well as, she at all times carried an EpiPen together with her and surrounded herself with individuals who know learn how to administer one.

In reality, when this tragic and preventable incident occurred and after she started to have an anaphylactic response, an EpiPen was used however as a result of severity of her allergy, it was not efficient.

The legal professional went on to excoriate Stew Leonard’s CEO, Stew Leonard Jr, who blamed the producer, Cookies United, for not notifying the chain that the recipe had modified to incorporate peanuts. The producer claims they notified Stew Leonard’s of the change again in July 2023:

In what might solely be described as deplorable conduct, Stew Leonard selected to submit a video assertion along with his household alongside him making an attempt but once more to avoid blame by stating that his Chief Merchandise Officer was unaware of the change in substances.

As a substitute of standing up and taking full accountability as the general public would have anticipated them to, because the household of Orla would have anticipated him to, Stew Leonard’s is partaking in a public relations media marketing campaign and selling their very own self-interests.

Here’s a WTNH-TV report with the assertion by Stew Leonard Jr:

Baxendale’s sister Niamh posted this tribute to Órla on Instagram:


Our honest condolences exit to the Baxendale household for his or her loss. We are able to’t think about the ache of sending a daughter to pursue her goals within the US, solely to be taught that her life was reduce brief by a completely preventable tragedy.

It could come as information to some within the meals allergy group that epinephrine didn’t save Ms Baxendale from the anaphylaxis that took her life.

Epinephrine is the one drug that may halt and reverse the development of anaphylaxis, a life-threatening allergic response to a meals, drug, insect venom, or environmental substance like latex. To be handiest, it should be administered early in an anaphylactic response and for some reactions, a single dose is probably not enough.

We encourage all meals allergy victims to take two epinephrine auto-injectors alongside in every single place, each time. Make sure you administer one whenever you first suspect anaphylaxis and name emergency providers, and if the signs don’t subside inside a couple of minutes, administer the second.

Peanut Allergy Loss of life and Recall Present How US Labeling Rules are Failing the Allergic Group

Previous articleProduct Change Alert: Membership Minis Crackers Now Comprise Milk
Next articleCF Basis Funds Prime Drugs’s Gene Modifying Endeavors