Get pleasure from a buttery crust this vacation season with none gluten! Make pies that gained’t go away anybody out and can embody all of your family members. This crust comes collectively within the meals processor. Be sure you learn all my ideas to make sure pie making success.
This put up comprises affiliate hyperlinks.
USE BUTTER OR SHORTENING?
After researching the professionals and cons, and very passionate opinions on the topic, I discovered that each butter and shortening have their place in pie crust making. Butter provides higher taste and helps create flakier layers. However, shortening, with a better melting factors assist your pie crust be extra workable. So, the 50/50 rule is what I made a decision to go for. I take advantage of each butter and shortening so I can get the most effective of each worlds.
WHAT SHORTENING DO I USE?
Since shortening might be fairly flavorless, I like to purchase the Crisco Buttery Sticks in order that I nonetheless get that buttery taste. They’re straightforward to measure out too. And, when you have any leftover, I name for this sort of fats in my DoubleTree Chocolate Chip Cookies.
WHAT GLUTEN FREE FLOUR DO I USE?
I like an excellent, all objective flour. I don’t wish to be shopping for a bunch of single grains. The flour I take advantage of on this recipe is Walmart’s model: Nice Worth All Function Gluten-free Flour. I prefer it as a result of nearly all of it’s rice, potato and tapioca, plus it already consists of xanthan gum. I’ve not tried it with one other one, however would assume King Arthur’s gluten-free flour would work properly too, as they’ve pretty related elements and so they have a top quality combine.
DO I HAVE TO ADD ADDITIONAL XANTHAN GUM?
Since we wouldn’t have gluten, we’d like one thing to assist bind and help within the elasticity of the crust. I discover by including an additional 3/4 tsp, on high of the quantity within the gluten-free flour, that it stacks our possibilities for a extra workable crust. In the event you wouldn’t have xanthan gum, I’ve made it with out, however do suggest it.
WHY IS THERE AN EGG IN THIS RECIPE?
I’ve made gluten-free pie crust with out an egg, however let me inform you: it was CRUMBLY! I principally needed to pour the crust into the pie plate, and simply mould it in with my arms (which then melted numerous the fats, which you don’t need.)
An egg helps ship taste, higher texture, coloration, and workability to the crust. If in case you have tried gluten-free pie crusts previously, I’m excited to listen to what you concentrate on after including an egg to it.
*In the event you can not have eggs, it may be made with out it. I’ve completed it, however the dough is difficult to work with. I discover that as a substitute of rolling it out, I simply put it immediately within the pie pan, and press it into the form I need (crimping works higher than fluting because it’s exhausting to work with). The tip outcome shall be good and crisp, however shaping it’s tougher with out the egg. I do that with my No Nut Pecan Pie.
CAN I MAKE THE PIE CRUST AHEAD OF TIME?
Completely. Thanksgiving, birthdays or different meals occasions that normally focus on pie are usually busy occasions of the yr. Save your self the difficulty and get that pie crust completed earlier. This pie crust might be made forward (to the step the place you roll it right into a disc and canopy it in plastic wrap) and saved within the fridge as much as 3 days, or frozen for 3 months. Simply ensure in the event you freeze it, that you simply let it thaw in your fridge for 8 hours (so the evening earlier than) and you might even need to let it sit in your counter for a couple of minutes till it’s roll-able.
HOW MANY PIES DOES THIS RECIPE MAKE?
This pie crust recipe makes sufficient for both two pies, or one pie with a high and backside (double crust–like a hen pot pie, or lattice crust on high).
HOW TO HALVE THIS RECIPE
Let’s say you simply want one pie crust, and also you’re not serious about making the total recipe and freezing the unused half of the dough for later (though pie crusts might be frozen for 3 months!) Listed below are the measurements you’ll do:
*The difficult half turns into halving an egg. I might solely suggest doing this solely when you have a kitchen scale. Crack the egg and whisk it. Measure it in your kitchen scale, then pour out half (for instance, my egg was 52 grams, so I dumped out 26 grams and used the remaining 26 grams.)
CAN I DO DESIGNS WITH THIS PIE CRUST?
I discover you possibly can crimp the sides, you possibly can flute the sides, and you need to use this crust for cute lower outs, however I personally don’t discover gluten-free crust straightforward sufficient to work with to make it right into a braid. Although, I’ve by no means even been good at braiding hair. So be at liberty to attempt–you might be higher than me.
CAN I MAKE GALETTES WITH THIS PIE CRUST?
Sure, you possibly can! I prefer to roll out the crust (solely want half a recipe, until you wish to make two galettes…or save one within the freezer for an additional time) on parchment paper. Then I transfer the parchment paper onto a baking sheet. I place my desired filling int the center of the dough and raise up the parchment paper, folding it in direction of the middle (however retaining the attractive heart uncovered–crust needs to be round 3 inches huge.) Hold doing this till you’ve folded in the entire edges and it resembles a country/tough circle. Dip your fingers in ice water to pinch and seal any locations that it might have cracked. Brush the sides with an egg wash (1 crushed egg and 1 Tablespoon milk whisked collectively) and sprinkle on target sugar in the event you so want. My home made 2 ingredient caramel sauce on high makes it look (and style) further fairly.
DO I NEED VODKA OR VINEGAR IN THE RECIPE?
You’ll generally hear of a tip to make use of vinegar or vodka in pie crust recipes. Each of these are to assist cut back the quantity of gluten that develops within the pie crust, in order that it gained’t be powerful. This is likely one of the few occasions the place gluten-free really turns out to be useful! You wouldn’t have to fret about “overworking” the dough and utilizing counter measures, like vodka or vinegar, to cease the manufacturing of gluten. Save your self the elements and stress!
HOW DO I BLIND BAKE THIS CRUST
Blind baking is the place you cook dinner the crust, by itself, fully. That is used for occasions when you could have a no-bake filling you’re going to be placing in it (like cream or custard pies). For instance, this chocolate pie filling within the footage didn’t must be baked, so I cooked the crust fully, waited for it to chill, after which stuffed it.
Listed below are the steps:
- For this crust, when you’ve styled the crust the way you need, stick it within the fridge whereas the oven heats as much as 425.
- As soon as the oven is preheated, take your pie crust out, and bake it for 5 minutes to let it begin to set.
- After the 5 minutes, take it out of the oven and place a bit of parchment paper gently on high. Weigh the parchment paper down with rice, dried beans or store-bought pie weights.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Take it out and thoroughly take away the parchment paper and weights.
- Brush on the egg wash with a pastry brush (you’ll see mine is slightly splotchy in spots. I used a silicone brush and want I might have used a pastry brush. I really feel it spreads extra evenly with a pastry brush.)
- Bake for five extra minutes (or till edges are browned and the underside is cooked by means of.)
- Take away from oven and permit to chill fully. Fill together with your desired no-bake filling.
HOW TO COOK A DOUBLE PIE CRUST:
Some individuals will inform you to par bake (partially bake) the underside crust of a pie earlier than including the heavy, moist filling to make sure it isn’t soggy. I don’t discover this mandatory. Go forward and roll out your backside crust, put within the desired filling, and crimp the highest pie crust to the underside. Seal the sides, vent the highest and bake in line with instructions.
TIPS FOR GLUTEN FREE CRUST:
- When reducing your butter and shortening, do it in massive slices, as a substitute of small cubes. You’re going to be pulsing it greater than common crust dough, due to the addition of blending in an egg, so that you want it to start out out bigger so you continue to have small chunks left over by the point you’re rolling it.
- After you pulse your dry elements, place the flour within the fridge. The extra issues which might be chilly, the higher possibilities you could have of your butter surviving. The extra chunks of butter when it hits the oven, the extra probability you could have of flaky crust!
- Once you’re including your water, you need the top outcome to be barely cheesy. Relying on the place you reside and the way humid or dry it’s, don’t be afraid to make use of an additional Tablespoon or two. Go by texture and really feel than simply what the recipe says. With common crust, that has gluten in it, you don’t need the dough moist and cheesy. so that you gained’t be used to doing this in the event you used to bake with gluten. It is a little counter productive, however gluten free flour is much more thirsty and can want the additional moisture whereas it sits within the fridge. It is going to take in numerous it whereas the dough chills. If it’s nonetheless too cheesy to roll out, you’ll alleviate that by dusting the dough generously and your rolling pin generously with extra gluten-free flour.
- I prefer to roll my dough on a bit of parchment paper. That method, once I must switch it to the pie pan, I can simply flip it over and peel. You’ll be able to simply roll it in your counter, after which roll it again up over your rolling pin to switch it. I discover the burden of this makes it exhausting and it typically breaks earlier than it makes it to the pie pan. Do what you’re extra snug with.
- If you wish to have a fluted edge, you need tall, thick sides to start out with. After I form it into the pie plate, if I’ve further dough left, I pinch and add it to the highest. I discover the thicker the highest edge is, the simpler it should maintain the form. In the event you’re simply crimping the sting with a fork, it may be thinner.
- After you’ve formed your crust within the pie plate, put it within the fridge whereas your oven preheats. You need the crust to agency up once more earlier than it hits the warmth to assist it maintain it’s form and protect the fats.
- Use a glass pie dish.
- Chill even your rolling pin! Each step we will take to maintain the butter from melting the higher.
- Don’t add your egg wash till the final 5 minutes to keep away from issues browning an excessive amount of.
VIDEO SHOWING HOW TO MAKE IT:
I’ve a video displaying you the best way to make it. For these not conversant in making pie crust, and even those who do, it’s useful to see this new methodology in the event you’re not used to including egg and to see the way it can look. I need the most effective outcomes for you as potential! You’ll be able to see the video within the backside of the recipe card, or on my YouTube Channel.
STILL STRUGGLING WITH PIE CRUST?
If pie crust is simply too irritating to you (I’ve been there!) don’t overlook that there are many scrumptious pies that use cookie crumb or graham cracker crumbs which might be nonetheless scrumptious. They take much less time, much less approach and are nonetheless divine (particularly when you have good fillings like my: triple chocolate pie, pumpkin crumble, frozen raspberry pie, strawberry chocolate galette, strawberry jello pie. peach pie. lemon cream pie bars, pumpkin mousse, chocolate cheesecake, peppermint pie.)
Measure out butter and shortening, lower into massive chunks and place in freezer.
In a meals processor, pulse the flour, salt and xanthan to mix.
Place pulsed flour in freezer. (I simply put the entire high portion of the meals processor in there.).
Set timer for Quarter-hour.
After Quarter-hour, place the flour again on the meals processor and add the chilled butter and shortening.
Pulse a number of occasions, till the butter is in regards to the dimension of huge peas.
Crack and whisk the egg in a small cup. Stream within the egg whereas the meals processor is on low.
Measure out 1/4 cup of ice water (reserving some further).
Stream the ice water (not letting the ice cubes in) whereas having the meals processor on low.
Watch it carefully. When it looks like it is beginning to come collectively, cease.
Relying in your location (how humid/dry) you might want so as to add 1-3 extra Tablespoons of water.
The dough shall be wetter than conventional dough and slightly sticky. It is going to be balled up and maintain its form while you pinch it.
Divide the dough and flatten it into two discs and wrap plastic wrap. (This can make rolling it simpler).
Refrigerate for 20 minutes. Right now, additionally stick your rolling pin within the freezer.
Whereas it refrigerates, clear a floor and mud it generously with some gluten free flour.
After timer is over, take out one disc at a time, and your rolling pin. Mud your rolling pan.
Solely do 2-3 passes with the rolling pin earlier than rotating the dough or flipping it over.
In any other case, it should stick.
Or, in the event you’d moderately not try this, roll the dough onto parchment paper.
After you have it about 1/8 inch thick, or about 12 inches huge, gently roll it again on the rolling pin and place it into the pie pan. Or, in the event you’re utilizing parchment paper, flip it over into the pie plate and peel off the parchment.
Be sure to let the crust fall into the sides of the pie crust.
Trim the crust..
If you’re going to flute your pie crust, I take any leftover scraps and pinch it onto the highest edges. I discover the thicker they’re, the simpler they’re to form.
Or, you possibly can then use your fork to crimp it.
Then, comply with your pie’s instructions for baking.
If the instructions name for blind baking (AKA a totally cooked pie shell), then:
Dock the pie (aka poke holes with a fork).
Chill in fridge for half-hour (we actually need that butter strong when it hits the oven)
Whereas it is chilling, preheat oven to 425.
When time is up within the fridge place the pie within the oven for 5 minutes.
Make an egg wash (1 egg whisked with 1 Tablespoon milk–I do milk as a substitute of water as a result of it helps the gluten free flour brown) and put aside.
Take away pie and place parchment paper or aluminum foil onto the pie crust.
Weigh it down with beans, rice or pie weights on high of it
Rigorously take away the barrier paper (parchment or aluminum) and the weights and gently brush it with the egg wash.
Bake for an additional 5 or so minutes, or till browned and cooked by means of.
Take away from oven and funky fully earlier than including your filling
If making a two crust pie (high and backside)…
Roll out the underside as acknowledged above. Place filling on high. Roll out the opposite disc and thoroughly lay it on high. Reduce off extra and crimp as desired. Bake in line with the recipe.
The entire incessantly requested questions, ideas and substitution questions are spelled out intimately above. For finest outcomes, learn the whole put up. Be sure you watch the video
*Our allergic reactions, whereas extreme and that get re-tested incessantly, are such that we will go strictly by what’s on the label. I don’t name corporations to see what issues are derived from, or name producers to see about potential cross contact. In case your allergic reactions require you to take action, please do your personal homework. I can not guarantee you of any ingredient’s security, solely you are able to do that. I merely share what works for our household
Tailored from: Let Them Eat Gluten Free Cake
Serving Measurement: 1
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 315Whole Fats: 35gSaturated Fats: 22gTrans Fats: 1gUnsaturated Fats: 11gLdl cholesterol: 115mgSodium: 574mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g
DON’T FORGET TO PIN THIS SO YOU DONT’ LOSE IT. WHILE YOU’RE THERE, BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY OTHER DIETARY SPECIFIC BOARDS.
Hello! I’m Megan, a mother to 4 youngsters, two with a number of meals allergic reactions & one with EOE. I’m a printed cookbook creator that continually tweaks recipes to make them allergy pleasant–it’s an dependancy. I share each recipe & tip with you, that will help you eat such as you did earlier than meals allergic reactions & dietary restrictions. You’ll be able to nonetheless be superior, even with meals allergic reactions!